Diabetic Diet Recipes - Meat and Vegetables Lagsane
Diabetic Recipe - Meat and Vegetables Lagsane (10 servings)
1/2 pound ground beef, lean
1/2 pound italian sausage, sweet, removed from casings (about 4 sausages)
1 bunch spinach, fresh (approximately 1 pound)
1 stalk broccoli, large (about 1/2 pound)
1/4 cup water
1/2 Gloria's Spaghetti Sauce (1/2 recipe without meat, about 6 cups) (see index for recipe)
8 ounces lasagna noodles
1 cup cottage cheese, low-fat
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup parsley, minced, fresh
1 cup mozzarella cheese (part-skim), shredded
1. Preheat oven 375ºF.
2. Fry beef and sausage in large skillet over medium heat until well browned but still soft. Drain well on paper towels in a colander. Wipe all drippings from pan.
3. Clean spinach, remove stems, and shred spinach with a sharp knife, cutting across the leaf. Cut tough ends off the bottom of the broccoli. Peel the stems. Chop the flowerets and stems. Put the spinach and broccoli in skillet, add ¼ cup water, cover, and steam over medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add the meat and vegetables to the sauce and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne noodles a few at a time in lots of boiling water until al dente. Drain and spread on wax paper.
6. Combine the cottage cheese, ricotta, eggs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
7. When sauce is ready, spread ½ cup sauce in the bottom of a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Next, put in a layer of noodles, ½ the cottage cheese mixture, ½ the mozzarella, 1 cup sauce, another layer of noodles, the remaining cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup sauce, remaining noodles, 1 cup sauce, and the remaining mozzarella. Reserve extra sauce to pass separately.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to stand 20 minutes before cutting. Cut into 10 equal portions.
Food exchanges per 1½-cup serving: 1½ Bread, 3 medium-fat Meat, 1 Vegetable, 1½ Fat
Diabetic Diet | Diabetic Recipes|